Saturday, March 1, 2008

I'm Househunting, Hil's in NYC



This entry is partly for Hilary's benefit so she can see the houses that I've been looking at today.

Today I found the house of our dreams. I'll give you the address but don't you dare buy it out from under us. And I'm sure that nobody reads this blog anyway, so I'm not in any danger of spreading a secret.

The house is at 829 10th St NE in Washington. Two floors, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, vaulted ceilings, exposed brick, hardwood floors, new kitchen, basement rental unit. And it's a beautiful house. It last sold in August 2006 for $629,000. Not taking into account the most recent sale price, Zillow estimated the house at $545,000. This house is now up for short sale at $250,000.

Yes, a house that should be over half a million dollars is listed at half that. It might be just a ploy to get a bidding war started, but I'm ready to make an offer.

I called around on some of the surrounding houses with For Sale signs. 817 was $550,000, under contract now, but the realtor couldn't say what it had sold for. There's a house around the corner at 1004 I St up for sale too, but I couldn't find out its price.

I took a look at some other houses, but none of them really excited me the way this one did. When the realtors dropped me off back at my car in front of the first house, I saw another group go in to look around. And while they were inside, another group showed up. I'm worried that this is going to turn into a bidding war. I'll go get my pre-approval and make an offer, probably with a, what do you call it, a thing in the contract that says I'll buy it for this much but if there's another offer I'm willing to go as high as this much.

Anyway, here are the pictures of my dream house. I hope we can get it.

No comments: